The Spouse Visa to Australia enables Australian Permanent Residents or Citizens to Sponsor their spouse to Australia on a permanent basis. This visa enables the sponsored spouse to:
- Live and work in Australia as Permanent Residents
• Study in Australia
• Become a Citizen of Australia within 4 years
The basic requirements for the Spouse visa are as follows:
- The sponsor is either an Australia Citizen/Permanent Resident or an eligible New Zealand Citizen
- You are in a genuine and continuing relationship and are either married OR have been living together in a spouse like relationship for at least 5 years
- You and your partner must be living together or, if not, any separation must be only temporary
Generally, the Australian sponsor should not have sponsored a past spouse to Australia within the last 5 years although there are exceptions. The sponsor should be able to evidence that they have means to support you as their spouse in Australia i.e. adequate accommodation and finances although there is not a stipulated amount that should be shown as “maintenance” like there might be with other country spouse sponsorship programs.
Dependent children under the age of 18 are able to be included on your spouse sponsored visa to Australia, however evidence must be provided that all parties involved in the legal care and guardianship of the child agrees to them being removed from their home country.
Other dependent family members such as elderly parents can also be considered for inclusion in this visa if evidence can be provided to the Department of Immigration that they are fully dependent on you for financial, emotional and physical support. Visas and Permits.com specialise in submitting applications with eligible dependents included to the Department of Immigration.
If you meet the basic requirements above please get in touch today to discuss your case specifics and go over any further questions you may have.