[Australia Visa] Which English Language Test Should I Take?

Most of the Australian temporary and permanent residence visas require the applicants to meet the English language requirements. Even with the same visa subclass, the requirements may differ according to the applicant’s occupation. This article is a guide to the language competency requirements for those seeking Australian Permanent Residency.

Taking an English language test can be a terrifying step for the visa applicants. Many of our customers come back to us asking “How to prepare for the test?”

Let’s start with the English language tests that are accepted by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA):

1. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

IELTS is an international standardized test of English language proficiency for non-native English language speakers. It consists of 9 band levels and mostly taken by Indian clients for the English language assessment.

2. Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT)
TOEFL test is the most widely known English-language test in the world as it is accepted by more than 10,000 colleges, universities and in 130 countries (including Australia, Canada, U.K. and U.S.A).

3. Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)

PTE Academic is a computer-based test of English for immigration that is fast and flexible. The most unique thing about this test is- you can schedule your test (24 hours in advance) and receive the results in minimum five business days. PTE is accepted by over 50 countries in the world.

4. Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
CAE or currently known as C1 Advanced is an English language examination provided by Cambridge Assessment English. C1 Advanced is the proof of in-depth and high-level achievement in the English language. It is for the university students and skilled workers.

5. Occupational English Test (OET)

OET is mainly for the international healthcare sector. It is recognised by more than 30 healthcare bodies and councils worldwide. Healthcare professionals (including 12 occupations- dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography, speech pathology, and veterinary science) choose OET to prove they have the required level of English for work or study.

Who Can Take these Tests?

Foreign students (from the non-English speaking countries) and workers (under Skilled Migration- Subclass 189, 190, 489, Temporary Skilled Shortage visa- Subclass 482, Employer Nomination Scheme- subclass 186, Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187) must take any of these English tests to live, work or study in Australia.

Each test has 4 modules:

1. Reading

2. Writing

3. Speaking

4. Listening

Did you know that there are 4 different levels of English?

1. Superior English

2. Proficient English

3. Competent English

4. Vocational English

To know which test to take as per your application, call us!

What minimum scores* do you need?

The required minimum scores depend on the type of Visa subclass, occupation, applicant’s profile and the assessing body.

Tips to Pass your English language test with flying colors:

1. Know the test format. There are many practice papers available online. You can take those tests in advance.

2. You can approach good coaching centres where you will be trained by Experts.

3. Get familiar with the pattern or type of tasks of your specific test.

4. Take mock tests and time yourself to simulate the exam conditions.

5. Practice, practice, practice!
Looking for more advice on the Language requirements or Australia PR, Fill Our Free Visa Assessment Form! Visas and Permits.com is the most trusted immigration Service provider in India. We have many clients like you who have got their visas by opting for our services. You can be the NEXT one!

Check Your Eligibility For FREE

Quick FREE Assessment

Your details will not be shared