The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa to Canada is different from being sponsored permanently to Canada under the Family Class. Since the average processing times for permanent sponsorship is currently around 8 years, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) have placed this visa class on hold until further notice and introduced the Super Visa.
The Super Visa is a temporary resident visa and is valid for 10 years, allowing up to a maximum of 2 years stay in Canada upon entry. The visa is multiple re-entries and does not lead to permanent residence.
To apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, you must:
- Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- Be a genuine visitor to Canada and evidence that you do not intend to make Canada your permanent place of home i.e. you have ties to your usual country of residence or citizenship
- Ensure your sponsoring child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold
- Be of good health and character
- Hold valid health insurance for the duration of your visit