Post Visa Thoughts | Checklist of Things To Know Before You Move to Australia

Now, a permanent residence in your hand or you are about to get one, has it ever crossed your mind what you should do after migrating to Australia?

Moving to another country can be exciting as well as daunting. How will you find help in a foreign country? Where will you get your Australian identification cards? In this post, we discuss the Top things you must do after landing in Australia!

Contact Centrelink

Did you know that many new arrivals in Australia are eligible for social security payments? For that, you have to contact Centrelink (managed by the Department of Human Services) and access your eligibility. Immigrants with children may eligible for Government-funded payments for the cost of raising their children.

To be paid from the first day of your arrival, you must lodge an application within two weeks of time. You can also recruit a Humanitarian Settlement Services agent who can do the legal work on behalf of you.

Among the security benefits, you will be only entitled to medical and education benefits from the day of your arrival. But to get unemployment and housing benefits from the government, a PR holder has to wait for two years.

Centrelink also helps the PR holders to look for a job, arrange skill trainings to get Australian work experience.

Getting Healthcare Services and Driving License

Our client Ashish who lives in Melbourne, Australia shares a few things about the Australian healthcare system. He says Australia has two types of healthcare services, public and private. Australia government’s healthcare system “Medicare” provides free services to Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Health care

As obvious it seems, people usually chose public healthcare services to receive treatment at a low cost or no cost at all. To enrol with Medicare, go to a Medicare Service Centre with all required documents and passport.

However, in a public system, you won’t be able to opt for a specific physician as you will be in a queue (not a physical one) and the system will assign a doctor to you and sometimes the wait can be lengthy. But the private sectors fill these requirements. To cover this expenditure, you need health insurance from any Australian private insurance service.

In case you are worried that by taking private insurance will nullify your public health care benefits, rest assured, you can assign yourself for both service categories.

Important Note* If you or one of your family members is suddenly sick and required urgent medical attention, dial 000 to request an ambulance. If the person has any historical records of illness and prescribed medications, bring those with you to the hospital.

Coming to transportation, Australia has both public and private transportation system. You have buses, trains, trams, ferries, and taxis (privately owned vehicles) that run on a schedule that requires you to be on time to catch one.

Each state and territory operate their own systems of public transport. That is why you should always first connect with the local authority of your state or territory, upon arrival.


In case you are a person who likes to go to work in your own car/motor vehicle instead of taking a bus, then you need to hold a valid driver licence to use your own vehicle.

You can find the sellers/dealers of new and used motor vehicles in paper advertisements, internet, and retail outlets. Many State motoring organisations can assist you on a purchase.

Likewise, licensing, car registration, insurance and other requirements are handled the Australian state governments. It means you have to change your licence and registration if you decide to move to a different city.

In most states, you are allowed to drive for three months, if you are a PR holder and your current driver’s licence (from your home country) is in English or has an official translation. To drive legally after that, you need to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an eyesight test.

After getting a license, in Australia, you are expected to obey the traffic and driving laws.

Owning a House in Australia and Creating a bank Account

After your landing, you’ll need to find a temporary place to stay until you can rent or buy a home. As a PR holder, you are allowed to buy your own property in Australia.  To do that, you have to contact the private agencies. You can find the service reviews from forums, travel guides or from any other websites.

As you are in a foreign country, you must have a bank account to manage your money and keep it safe.  In Australia, your job salary and government benefits are deposited directly in your account. So, you must open a bank account within the six weeks of your arrival in the country.

Important Note* With a bank account, you must obtain a tax file number (TFN) to receive your income. You can do that by accessing the website of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or by calling them or by visiting their centres. Once you obtain these documents, is really easy to open an account online!

Enrolling your children in school

Are you moving with your family? Then arranging children’s education and making sure that moving to another country does not impede on their education should be your top priority. Therefore, before moving to a certain state in Australia, list out the best schools you wish to apply for your children. You can look at their brochures (available online) to know more about the facilities and management system. And get the enrollment forms.

On the admission day, you must bring your child’s previous school reports, certificates, and immunisation records with required travel documents.

Looking For a Job in Australia

You have many resources you can use to get help with your job search in Australia. Remember that your previous experience may or may not be considered. That is why you need to be prepared for training and volunteering programs to get Australian experience.


As mentioned before, Centrelink can help you with job hunting. But you can also get help from private agencies like Indeed, LinkedIn, Workopolis, RobertHalf, CareerBuilder etc. You should also check discussion forums where people share their insights about job markets.

You should attend the professional networking events where you can meet people of your profession and find work opportunities.

Getting a job in Australia is no different than securing one from your home country.  The trick is to take a position to get Australian Work Experience on your resume and build your career from there.

Get Familiar with the Currency

As you know, Australia’s official currency is the Australian dollar ($). Before you come to Australia, it’s a good idea to change some money from your home country into Australian dollars. You can also exchange money after you arrive.

Connecting to the Community


Connecting with others in your new community is an important step in the settlement process. Many of our clients who have immigrated to a foreign country often say that they enjoy connecting with the Indians (living there) as well as people from other ethnicities.

It will be challenging at first. But you will enjoy gatherings (ex: Festivals) and social events (ex: volunteering, charity), activities (ex: Sports and fitness centres) and programs. It will help you to build your network and find help when you need it. Likewise, you should connect over social channels.

In Summary

Attain correct information as much possible before moving to Australia. Have your trust in government and local authorities.

There are other services to help you settle in Australia. Such as the Adult Migrant English Program can help you learn English. The Skills for Education and Employment program can help you with speaking, reading, writing and math skills. You can use the Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. And the Multicultural Service Officers can help you with other government services. You can access their sites to get more information.

It is evident that If you need any help in Australia, you should not hesitate to contact the state organizations that are managed by the government itself. You can also find many private agencies that work for immigrants and refugees to help them settle in Australia.

Lastly, what we have written here is the tip of an iceberg, means, we can provide a lot more help to you in this process. Call us to know more or respond back to this email with your query and contact information. We will give you a call.

Quick FREE Assessment

Your details will not be shared